Tips for Making Challenges and Responding to Challenges
When can you challenge?
- Immediately after the Quizmaster (QM) has made his or her ruling & before the next question number is called
- If it is Question 20, it must be before anyone has left the platform
- Anytime you feel the QM has ruled incorrectly, or proper procedure has not been followed
- Eg. significant mispronunciation or word mix up by the QM, FTV type question where the first 5 words are not unique
- When you know that the quizzer has gone out of context & the QM did not pick that up.
- Be specific and state where the quizzer went
- You cannot “re-challenge”, ie. challenge the ruling on a challenge
Who can challenge?
- Only the quizzers who have been designated as captain and co-captain, and ONLY if there has been NO communication, verbal or otherwise, from teammates or coaches
How should you challenge?
- With great respect and humility
- Remember that the officials are truly attempting to make a correct ruling on every question, and if you have some light to shed on a particular decision, do so respectfully
When not to challenge?
- When it will not affect the outcome of the quiz, and especially if it involves a sensitive or rookie quizzer
- If there is a mean-spirited intent
- Simply to tell the QM that they gave no prompts or incorrect prompts